Dancing for a cause

Red and White staff

2018 BAHS graduate Jack Badger plays guitar and sings at last year’s Mini-Thon while current senior Mason Keeler accompanied him on drums.

By AMAYA ROTHROCK

Most people have heard of the annual event called THON that is at Penn State University. For 48 hours, Penn State students dance nonstop to raise money for the Four Diamonds Fund.

Bellefonte High has a similar event, Mini-THON. Students can go from 3:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. to dance and hang out with their friends for a good cause. The money the students raise also goes to the Four Diamonds Fund. This will be Bellefonte High’s third Mini-THON.

The Four Diamonds Fund is an organization that supports families that have been dealing with childhood cancer. It helps patients at Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital by caring for them and helping the families pay for the medical bills.

Students at Bellefonte High have come together to make Mini-THON fun for everyone and they have been doing a lot of fundraising for the organization. Junior Selah Brown is the head of Public Relations Committee.

“We all work together to get the word out to the community by working alongside places like the newspaper and radio station, but mainly to our school by creating videos and uploading to social media,” Selah said.

There are other committees that have been working together to make Mini-THON a success. One of the committees is the Finance Committee. Senior Class President Max Kroell is the Chairman of the Finance Committee. The committee plays an important role in making sure that all money being spent is put to necessities.

“I lead a team of dedicated committee members to ensure that any money we spend is done in a responsible way, and to ensure that we get the most out of every dollar we spend. I also work closely with the Fundraising Committee so we’re raising money for the Four Diamonds Fund,” Max said.

It is important that the committees communicate and work well together to ensure that Mini-THON is successful and fun for the students. The committees all put their ideas together to help each other.

“We also work with the Entertainment Committee so we can ensure that they have money to spend on different forms of entertainment, whether is be bounce houses, DJs, or bands,” Max said.

It is very important that students come out to participate in the event so the school can raise money for the organization. It is also important for students to work together to make a change for a good cause.

“I think student involvement is one of the most powerful and effective forces for any endeavor that our school may take on. As students, we must realize that we are the change the world will see,” Max said. “ I have always believe that a better world begins with a better Bellefonte, and our students participating events like Mini-THON really can help affect positive change in our community and in our world.”

Students can get involved by participating in a dodgeball game on February 22 to raise money. It costs $25 for a team of five players to participate. The money and registration is due February 13. Students can also donate money to the Mini-THON committees. Ticket sale date has yet to be announced along with the price of tickets. The date of Mini-THON is March 22 from 3:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., however, the date and times are not official.