Key Club Success

By AMELIA MILLER

When the Bellefonte Area High School Key Club attended the annual district convention, they went into it as they do everything: optimistically. But they came out having their expectation surpassed, winning three club awards, one member award, and having a member sworn on to the PA District Executive Board.

“This year, my experience at D-Con was beyond amazing and allowed me to create so many friendships,” junior Karalee Tedrow said.

Four Key Club members attend the convention, which took place in Pittsburgh. The club won first place for Non-Traditional Scrapbook, second place for Club Total Service Hours in Bronze Category, and was awarded the William “Bill” S. Brandamore Kiwanis Family Award. The Key Club has been working hard over the course of the year to organize and attend service events in the local community. Several of their most recent events include meeting with seniors at Centre Crest, plarning, and promoting literacy at local elementary schools.

Key Club is a life changing club that allows you to be more grateful for your community and understand how important it is to give back,” Karalee said.

Freshman Bria Pacella was awarded the Highest Total Service Hours Award for BAHS, with a total of 38 and a half hours over the course of seven months.

Karalee was sworn in to the PA District Executive Board as the Zone 4 Lieutenant Governor.

“It was an incredible opportunity to be sworn in as the Lieutenant Governor of Division 6 and knowing I would be taking over the responsibilities of the previous LtG, Gracey Gibson. It was more exciting knowing I was the first LtG from Bellefonte in over a decade,” Karalee said.

Her duties include supporting and growing clubs within their division, and serving as a liaison between her district and the club. This means she will be responsible for things such as publishing a newsletter, club officer training, holding divisional meetings, and serving on a district committees. She will serve in this office until the next Pennsylvania District Convention in 2020.

“She’s going to be a busy girl this upcoming year, but I think it will be a great experience for her,” English teacher and Key Club Advisor Mrs. Jennifer Walter said.

It has been many years since a Key Clubber from Bellefonte Area High School has served as a District Lieutenant Governor. The process of applying to be one includes registering, and filling out an application.

I was inspired to run for this role after last year’s D-Con because I made friends at this event that were Lieutenant Governor’s and saw how many new connections they made with people from different areas throughout the state in such a short amount of time. This made me realize that I wanted to have a larger role in Key Club and create many of the same connections that they did,” Karalee said.

The convention itself features a variety of workshops and trainings for members of Key Clubs across Pennsylvania. The workshops focus on skills such as leadership, public speaking, and also works to connect clubs with various service organizations. Students fulfill service projects during their attendance, and the intention is that they come back to their club with more service project ideas for the following year.

“I always really enjoy getting together with the other advisors in workshops where we share some of the best things we’ve done, or things that worked or didn’t work…The kids enjoy the more social ones where they go and do service projects with other Key Clubs, and literally come out with something they can give back to the community,” Mrs. Walter said.

Overall, the members of the Bellefonte Area High School see their trip as a success. And the general consensus seems to be that they are excited for what the next year holds for them- both on the local and district level.

You can bond with other kids that have the same interest as you which can lead to forever friendships. We welcome anyone to join,” Karalee said.