Hovies becomes a rising nurse

By TYLER MUSE

She’s someone who is always there for you – whether that be giving you advice or just a shoulder to cry on – senior Emily Hovies might be one of the most caring people you will ever meet.

Emily is involved in many extracurriculars in school and out of school including: Varsity Cheerleading, secretary of both National Honor Society and National Technical Honor Society, vice president of Medical Science class, Raider Revolution, and SkillsUSA. Most noteworthy, Emily has been attending CPI since her sophomore year studying Medical Science. Emily recently received her CNA from CPI, which is a Certified Nursing Assistant.

“The medical field has always been at the top of my list when I was asked what I wanted to be when I grew up,” she said.

CPI was no stranger to the Hovies family. Emily knew she was making the right decision when she chose to go there.

“My mom and sister went to CPI both for cosmetology. I knew it would open a lot of doors for me as it did them,” Emily said.

CPI is a very beneficial school for people who want to head right into the workforce when they graduate. For Emily, she said it has “jump started” her career and knows she will be ahead when she starts college. She got her CNA so she can work at a place she knows she will enjoy during college.

“I would definitely recommend CPI to anyone who wants to explore different career opportunities. They are so welcoming to anyone who is willing to put in the work. The environment there is so positive. Everyone is willing to help one another. They are flexible and cooperative. They are 100% committed to giving everyone the best education they can,” she said. 

The medical field is no joke. You have to know everything. Emily wasn’t only getting her medical education from CPI, she was receiving it from the high school and even church camp. Yes, she was taking Anatomy and Physiology, AP Biology, and AP Psychology, which she sat and learned in a classroom setting about the body and the chemistry of it all, but at church camp she was learning the communication aspect nursing brings.

“Nursing takes a lot of compassion and communication skills. At camp, I taught lessons, listened to how other people felt, lead worship, put myself in other people’s shoes, and learned soft skills,” Emily said. 

Emily sees herself in the future with a bachelor’s in nursing who wants to specialize in emergency medicine. Recently, she got a job at The Village at Penn State as a CNA. She works in skilled nursing, which means she is a “companion” to the residents and helps them with their day-to-day activities. 

“Being able to be the person there for those in need is so fulfilling. These people are at a very vulnerable stage in their lives. They need help with the most basic living necessities. Being the person they can count on when they feel so out of control is an indescribable feeling,” Emily said about her new job at The Village.

As Emily’s high school career is coming to an end and she has a kickstart on her career, she has left a mark on Bellefonte High School and CPI that will not be forgotten.

“I want to be remembered as the person who cared. I never want someone to feel like I judged them for being who they truly are. I want them to feel as though someone accepted them for them, not someone society wants them to be. I want to be remembered as the person who helped the people around me, no matter who it was and no matter the circumstances,” she said.