Long live the queen

By MELINA WEAVER

The Renaissance Faire: full of old timey goodness, exciting exhibits, epic jousting sessions, and characters dressed to historic perfection. 

During Faire season, which happens to be weekends in August through October, themed costumes, foods, and shows will be showcased for all Faire enthusiasts to see. Bellefonte Area Middle and High School students had the opportunity of a lifetime to visit this Faire for one of the 13 weekends that they were open.

Some students in Bellefonte’s High School Drama Club participated in the theatre competition in which they performed an act from Shakespeare’s, “A Midsummers Night Dream”. Jonathon Decker was the lead in the play, portraying the main character, a man with a donkey’s head. Other student performers were Madison Rogers, Alyssa Packer, Noah Abberegg, Cecelia Mazzocco, Ashtyn Harter,  Katie Leonori, Kara Leonori, and Hanna Coslo. They performed against many different schools all throughout Pennsylvania, such as State High and even schools from other states. 

“Being able to perform for professional actors ad receive their feedback was an amazing opportunity,” Jon said, “It was awe inspiring seeing the actors maintain their characters all day.”

Bellefonte Chorale also performed and won third place. They sang “Flora’s Fairest Flowers.” 

“The song was very chaotic, but each voice part was thrown together beautifully. It was a great time,” senior Mackenzie Ebeling said.

In addition to the Drama Club and Chorale, students from many different classes and clubs went along. They all participated in different competitions, such as the creative writing contest, the video contest, the poster contest, and the photo contest. The winners of such events will receive free passes to the Renaissance Faire for their entire family. Those competing were to submit their pieces to their accompanying teachers by November 1. Students from Mrs. Welsh, Mrs. Lloyd, Mrs. Kreiger, and Mrs. Cipro were all invited to participate.

Students were able to explore the Faire, talking with characters, tasting food, and buying souvenirs. They were able to taste tons of old timey food from that time period. German food, Scottish food, and Italian food were all viable options for the hungry students. Different characters were roaming the Faire. They were all dressed to perfection and kept in accurate character the entire time.

“It was a great atmosphere. There were a lot of bees, I thought it was great. Overall, I thought it was such a fun day, and I had so much fun walking around and then performing,” Alyssa Packer said.

After a long day of fun and games, Bellefonte students returned home, excited to submit their work and win the competitions.