Pin it to win it

Allison Ivicic

Junior Ethan Ross at a December match.

Amaya Rothrock, Editor in Chief

By AMAYA ROTHROCK

Wrestling season is finally here and the team already has big goals they want to accomplish. The season officially began on November 18, 2019, but some of the boys have continued to practice since last year’s season. 

“We have a great group of kids and the team has a lot of potential. I truly believe that we could bring another Mountain League title. My main goal is to place high enough in Regionals to be a state qualifier. [I have] been training all year for it,” said Senior Alex Coppolo. 

Alex is one of the team’s main role models that many of the younger participants can look up to.

Although the team is young, there are still a lot of great returning wrestlers, including previous state qualifiers. 

“Some of the strengths are in the return of 4 state qualifiers to the team – Lane Aikey, Ethan Rossman, Jude Swisher, & PIAA placewinner Ethan Richner. These individuals have made it to the biggest stage and they will need to provide an example through their hard work in practice to the underclassmen,” said History teacher Coach Mike Maney.

The team will have some things to work on such as communicating with each other and helping each other grow. 

“I am looking forward to the opportunity to see our student-athletes grow on & off the mat. I look forward to them taking life lessons that not only make them better wrestlers but better people,” said Coach Maney. 

The team has the perfect mindset of just working on improving every day at practice, which will help them in their upcoming matches. The team already has big goals that they are working towards. 

“The first goal is for the team to come to practice each and every day looking to get better. If this happens, the success in terms of wins will take care of themselves. Each year the team sets the team goals of winning the Mt. League, Win Districts, Qualify for the PIAA State Duals, & have each individual accomplish the individual goals they set for themselves this season,” said Coach Maney. 

Sophomore Aidan O’Shea wants to be a Regional place winner and he wants the team to be district champions. 

“I am looking forward to making great memories with my teammates,” he said. 

The team is continuing to put in the work everyday at practice to accomplish their goals.

“To begin the season, the team has been working really hard and setting high goals for themselves both individually and team. I think they are excited to compete,” Coach Maney said.

So far the team has won their first tournament and they won their first home match on December 11 against Tyrone with a score of 66-8.