Senior athletes take the next step

Allison Ivicic, Photo and Graphics Editor

CJ Funk

Q: Where are you committing? 

A: The University of Pittsburgh to play baseball. 

Q: Why did you decide on this college? 

A: I chose Pitt because, unlike the other colleges I visited, it truly felt like home. The coaches, staff, and the players were all so welcoming and made me feel confident in my decision. 

Q: What will you be majoring in? 

A: I will be majoring in accounting. 

Q: Have you always imagined yourself playing in college? 

A: It’s always been a dream to play college ball ever since I was a kid. Ultimately it’s the goal to make it to the majors, but there’s still a lot of work to do. 

Q: What did you do to get to this point today? 

A: I am truly blessed with an amazing family and friends, I wouldn’t be where I am today without them. I’d say the biggest thing I’ve done is just work hard in everything I do on and off the field. A strong work ethic is kind of cliche but absolutely the most important thing to have to be successful in any aspect of life. 

Q: Has anyone in particular helped you along the way? 

A: My parents have always been my biggest supporters and have helped me the most. More recently Josh Brown, who has been badly affected by cancer, has been a huge supporter of mine and I am pushed by his bravery and his strength as he fights his battle. 

Mallorie Smith

Allison Ivicic

Q: What are you looking forward to most about in college?

A: I’m looking forward to playing at a high level. The ACC is filled with some of the best baseball players in the country and it will be a challenging and unique experience that I’m ready to take on. 

Q: Where are you committing? 

A: Penn State Altoona to play soccer. 

Q: Why did you decide on this college? 

A: The campus is a good distance from home and it felt like a second home when I went and visited. The soccer team and coach were very welcoming.

Q: What will you be majoring in? 

A: I’m majoring in biology. 

A: I’ve always imagined playing at the next level because this has been my life and Iḿ not ready to gove it up yet. At first I wasn sure if I wanted to play but my senior year made me realize that I need to play in college. 

A: Hard work and perseverance and the will to get better got me to where I am today. If I didn work hard, there was no way I could’ve played at the next level. 

A: My parents have been really supportive with finding me the right college and my coaches were always encouraging me to play in college. They helped me get the exposure I needed. 

A: I’m looking forward to making more life long friends on campus and the team and making memories in college that I can tell my kids in the future.