Tumbling into the season

Lily Wichert, Copy Editor

By LILY WICHERT

From team bonding, practices, and traveling to various meets, the Bellefonte Gymnastics team holds a connection like none other. 

This season, the team had to adapt to losing a few teammates from last year due to injuries. By overcoming this adversity, the team is now closer than ever and looks forward to carrying out the rest of this season.

On Monday, January 27, the team held their senior night at their home meet against DuBois Area Senior High School, where each 4 of the seniors were recognized for their time spent on the Bellefonte Gymnastics team. The seniors include Aleah Krout, Evan McMullen, Grace Sherman, and Sarah Conner. 

Evan looks forward to finishing the rest of the season without any more injuries, as he was unable to compete vault at senior night due to a rolled ankle. 

“My favorite event is vault,” Evan said, “I like getting to use my power to fly in the air.”

Evan hopes to place at states this year before his season ends, and share that experience with the people he is most close with.

“[I love] creating new memories and watching everyone improve their skills throughout the season. Our team’s biggest accomplishment is working well together and always cheering each other up when we are down,” Evan said. 

Grace also feels that the team’s consistent support is one of the best aspects of being a part of the team.

“The best is when you are performing and you see the rest of your team mates doing your dances and routines with you on the side, cheering you on,” Grace said. “[We are] really close this year, [and work] through our differences together to win at the meets.”

All four of the team’s seniors serve as role models for the rest of the team, and hold their supportive and encouraging values close on and off the mat. 

Freshman Emma Matsko looks forward to competing at states for the first time in her high school career. This year’s event will be held at Moon Area High School on February 21-22, where the team hopes to meet their goals.

“My goals for the season are to place well individually at states, as well as our team winning first in the bronze division,” Emma said. 

The athletes continue to practice and work hard in order to go into their postseason strongly. The team’s next meet will be on Saturday, February 15 at home to compete for the League Championship title.