The season that wasn’t 

Baseball players keep up the heat to stay in shape

Jillian McKee, Reporter

By JILLIAN MCKEE 

6+4+3=2. Sorry math fans, but this “equation” cannot be solved unless you’re a true baseball fan or player. Therefore, the boys on Bellefonte’s baseball team most definitely understand the order of those numbers.  

Due to PA lockdown and quarantine requirements surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, the spring sports seasons were cancelled. Yet, this was an opportunity for the athletes to keep the grind going. Senior CJ Funk eats, sleeps and trains for all his beloved sports.  

“I am just training to become the best athlete I can at this time,” he said. 

Juniors Ty Butler and Bobby Marsh and sophomore Quinn Tooker all had similar ideas. 

“[I’m] trying to stay in shape for upcoming sport seasons,” Ty said. 

Even when off the field and a halted season, CJ and other teammates are working hard.  Although times are tough, looking back at fun memories the team made lightens up the mood. 

The four boys had similar responses when asked their favorite memory with the team. Bobby’s favorite memories stem from ”winning back to back district championships.”

The love between the team and sport itself is enough for the current players to continue throughout their high school career. 

Following graduation, CJ is continuing his baseball career at University of Pittsburgh, specifically center field. Not only is CJ leaving a great team at Bellefonte, he’s also leaving some advice to upcoming underclassmen looking to play. 

“Always make the most of every opportunity that is presented to you,” CJ said. “You should always act like you’re doing everything for the last time because it very well could be.” 

The players know the importance of hard work even though they didn’t get to see it play out on the field this year.

“Pick up all the gear and put in the work outside of practice,” shortstop Quinn said.

Despite the tragedy of not having a season this year, the parents of the players keep the positivity strong and gave each boy their own sign to display in their yard. Along with the signs, the boys continue to show good vibes towards next year season and summer training. By the way, 6+4+3=2 means short stop to second base to first base = double play.