Bellefonte High School welcomes four new faces

Ella Harpster, Reporter

New students and new teachers at Bellefonte Area High School are adjusting to a different type of environment this school year due to the national COVID-19 pandemic. Starting the new year there are many protocols to stay safe during the pandemic, but these new teachers are doing their best to learn the ins and outs of Bellefonte High. 

Submitted Photo

Mr. Andy Caruso

Dean of Students

Mr. Andy Caruso is not entirely new to BAHS, since he spent some time last year filling a subbing position for a building principal. His previous teaching position was at Bellefonte Area Middle School, so he gets to see students he knows from that building. Mr. Caruso enjoys running and working out. He also plays on a men’s baseball team in the summer. Mr. Caruso’s life outside of school involves living in Pleasant Gap with his wife and cocker Spaniel, Josie. Recently his wife and he purchased a small camper and look forward to eventually taking a camping trip out west.

Q: How long have you been teaching? 

A: This is my 22nd year in education.

Q: What inspired you to start teaching? 

A: I always enjoyed being part of a school through high school and college. When I graduated college with my bachelors degree and started working, I really missed school and thought I would enjoy working with secondary students. 

Q: In what other school districts have you taught? 

A: I started as a high school Environmental Science teacher in Charlotte, NC. For the past 20 years, I’ve been an 8th grade science teacher at our middle school. 

Q: What is it like to be a new teacher during this school year with the pandemic? 

A: I’m not exactly new and I’m not teaching now, but the pandemic has made the school and classroom very bizarre. Seeing students in the morning and at lunch spaced out and quiet is very odd compared to what school is normally like. The safety measures that we are taking are necessary for us to be able to be in school during a pandemic, so I am still glad to be able to see students and teachers every day.

Q: What do you like so far about teaching here at this school? 

A: It’s been nice to see students that I had in 8th grade at the high school level. Middle school is a tough time for a lot of kids. It is great to see a more adult, more mature version of students at the high school. It has been great meeting the staff at BAHS. Everyone has been very welcoming.

Submitted Photo

Mr. Anthony Fortuna

Director of Orchestras

Mr. Anthony Fortuna is a new music teacher here at the high school. Outside of the music room, he enjoys old video games, especially platformers and role-playing games. Some of his favorite titles include Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem, and Super Smash Bros. Mr. Fortuna just moved here to Bellefonte so his life involves being busy by moving and getting settled into his new place.

Q: How long have you been teaching? 

A: I have been teaching music in some capacity for around 9 years, although this is my first K-12 public school teaching position.

Q: What inspired you to start teaching? 

A: I had a love of music for as long as I could remember and I noticed that I enjoyed spreading that love to others and discovered teaching from there.

A: Before this I was teaching privately at The Suzuki School for Strings in Wilkes-Barre, PA.

A: It’s a bit nerve-wracking but I am confident that we will all make it a great year for orchestra!

A: The willingness the students have to be challenged and to shoot beyond what they ever thought was possible.

Submitted Photo

Mrs. Anne Maddox

Sophomore English Teacher

Mrs. Anne Maddox replaced Miss Crosson in the ninth grade English classroom. Her favorite activities include: reading, gardening, having campfires, and also spending time with her husband and two sons. Her life outside of school mostly involves parenting and being a wife. She knows all about Legos, Pokemon, and Hot Wheels. Mrs. Maddox and her family go swimming, biking, and exploring outside. In the spring, she uses her free time to garden. She likes to read and learn new things.

Q: What is it like to be a new teacher during the year of a pandemic? 

A: I’m glad that I am just “new” here and not new to the profession because this is certainly a hectic time. In some ways, teaching during this pandemic levels the playing field and makes me feel a bit better because I know that everyone is feeling a bit overwhelmed and unsure. On the other hand, there is some added stress because of the added requirements. Now that my teaching happens online and in the classroom there are more things to consider, create, and prepare for every lesson that I teach.

Q: What inspired you to start teaching? 

A: I was not interested in teaching at first and actually studied English in college. After I graduated, I realized that getting a job as an English major was a challenge! My aunt worked in a middle school and suggested that I work as a para, which I did. While working in a sixth grade classroom, I was stunned at how much I loved it! The teachers there were amazing, and I loved working with the students. After one year as a para, I went back to school to get my teaching certification.

Q: How long have you been teaching? 

A: This is my 13th year in the classroom.

A: I previously taught 8th grade ELA at Tyrone Area Middle School.

A: The people! Everyone here at BAHS, staff and students, have been so friendly! This is such a crazy year, but I have felt so welcomed and supported.

Submitted photo

Ms. Alex O’Brien

School Nurse

Ms. Alex O’Brien is the new school nurse. When she’s not helping students in the health room, her hobbies include: gardening, reading, watching movies, cooking, family, running, and staying healthy. She has a vegetable and herb garden and flowers growing in the summertime. She likes to spend time with her husband and daughter, and her son attends a university in England. She has also done some volunteer work with Clearwater Conservancy and in the past with the Community Cafe at St. Andrews in State College.

Q: How long have you been a nurse? 

A: I have been an RN (registered nurse) since 2013.

Q: What inspired you to start nursing? 

A: Initially I became interested in becoming a midwife, which you do after becoming an RN.

Q: In what other school districts have you worked? 

A: My first school nursing experiences were as a sub for BASD. I have worked in every BASD school. I used to be a health room assistant in the SCASD middle schools and have also worked in all the SCASD schools.

Q: What is it like to be a new nurse during this school year with the pandemic? 

A: The start was difficult as I had to get to know colleagues and students by inviting myself to Zooms and figuring out meetings online. I’m still figuring out a lot of things. I was supposed to spend that first week with Val Fulton, the nurse who was leaving but that didn’t happen. But this has been odd and stressful for all of us so I don’t think that singles me out at all.

Q: What do you like so far about nursing here at this school?  

A: This is my first school nurse job so it’s more responsibility than previously. There is a lot of variety in the job and it’s fun getting to know students and staff. I do like having an office with windows!