Euphoria takes center stage in teen television

Lia Miner, Entertainment Editor

The HBO original, “Euphoria,” dives into the intense reality of drug addiction, peer pressure, and mental illness. Therefore, viewers need to be aware about the topics that may trigger sensitive thoughts. 

Zendaya stars as the main character, Rue, a 17-year-old high schooler who struggles with drug addiction. The season starts with Rue returning home after rehab due to a drug overdose. This leads to struggles with her relationship with her mother and sister, with whom she lives. Throughout the series, different types of relationships are shown; relationships with friends, relationships with significant others, and even relationships with abusive substances. Hunter Schafer plays Jules, who meets Rue at a party and throughout the series helps Rue overcome her drug addiction. 

Euphoria was a ground-breaking show as Jacob Elordi, Hunter Schafer, Alexa Demie,  and Sydney Sweeney remarkably portrayed troubled high school students. Each with their personal struggles displayed throughout the show as they fight through them. Euphoria is rated for mature audiences. Drug abuse, sex, nudity, and violence are all ideals depicted in the show. Yet, it shines light on the truth behind drug addiction and mental illness. Rue who struggles with addiction and depression is faced with relapse and breaking down the important relationships around her. This shows the truth behind drugs not only ruining you yourself, but also ruining those around you. As the characters are both male and female it explores gender equality in daily life and in intimate relationships. 

The show is natural and realistic, making it very relatable to gen Z with the topics discussed. Many television shows downplay topics such as drug addiction, sex, and violence, but the fact Euphoria shines so much light on these topics makes this show stand out. Critics from Rotten Tomatoes stated, “Though at times hard to watch, Euphoria balances its brutal honesty with an empathetic- and visually gorgeous- eye to create a uniquely challenging and illuminating series, held together by a powerfully understated performance by Zendaya.”  

Besides the show itself, the Euphoria soundtrack featured songs by Labrinth, Lizzo, Beyoncé, Billie Eilish, and more. The use of rising pop/hip hop stars will attract the younger generation. Music known by many will help relate to what is going on in the show, making it more appealing. 

Overall, I would give the show 5 stars. The camera crew, the actors, and the plot is outstanding.