Horses of Hope

Hope Martin, Editor in Chief

Some people may think that Horses Of Hope is just another horseback riding stable with boring horses, simple riders, and a typical trainer correcting the student. Well,  Horses Of Hope is here to tell you that it is not just another boring, simple, and typical riding stable, but it is a place where you don’t need to be ashamed about being different. It  gives people with special needs, anxiety, depression, and many other things, a way to escape from all of their thoughts and form a stronger emotional, physical, and social connection by using equine activities.

Horses Of Hope is a non-profit organization that encourages people with special needs to push past their obstacles and become a better person.  It also works closely with another non-profit organization, called Heroes & Horses. Heroes & Horses is a way to give  back to our veterans through horseback riding and donations. According to the Horses Of Hope website, their mission statement states, “We are honored to be able to give something back to our active and retired military personnel at no charge.”  

I started riding at Horses Of Hope about five years ago. I didn’t know much about horses or riding in the beginning, but it was so much fun.  I learned many things about horses and I found an escape from my pain. 

The first time I rode at Horses Of Hope, I rode a pony named Benny. He was small and for the younger riders. As I developed as a rider, I began to get more challenging horses that fit my level of riding.  Two years ago I found my horse.  I had a connection with her that I could never have with anything or anyone.  Instead of riding being my escape, she was my escape.  I was the only student who could ride her because she had way too much energy.  Unfortunately, she was taken away from the stable because I took a year off of riding and no one else was riding her.  I still get to visit her at her home. She recently just had a new foal and it is the cutest thing.  I hope that I will get to compete on the foal when it is older. 

Horses Of Hope has not just changed my life, but it has changed so many other people’s lives. The staff and trainers at Horses Of Hope plan on continuing to change peoples lives for the better. People can also help change lives by volunteering to help in fundraisers and with helping out around the stables. Readers can find out more about Horses Of Hope by looking at the website, www.HorsesOfHope.org.