Driving into the fall season

Amaya Rothrock, Editor in Chief

The boys and girls golf teams are nearing the end of their winning season. On Thursday, September 24, the boys placed second in the Mountain League and the girls placed first. As the season nears the end, both teams are noticing a wide range of improvement among the players and are hoping to send some players to districts.

“Our improvements this season really come in the middle of our lineup. We have seen our four, five, and six players really show some great improvement in their striking consistency resulting in better scores,” boys’ golf coach and Physics teacher Mr. Kevin Harman said.

They had high expectations of being competitive in the Mountain League competition and those expectations were exceeded as they placed second. 

“The best moment in the season so far was our first Mountain League match, which we won. We placed first out of [eight] teams and Keith Hamilton won the event with a low score and Isaac Bloom tied for second,” Mr. Harman said. 

Senior Gavin Fravel and Joey Bruni (LaBelle Staff)

The team recently had their Senior Night on Tuesday September 22 where they said a farewell to the two senior boys on the team, Joey Bruni and Gavin Fravel. 

“Another great moment was Senior Night where we got to recognize two key seniors that have played a huge part in the program for the last four years. We thank them very much for all they’ve meant for the program,” Mr. Harman said. 

Senior Joey Bruni has seen much improvement in not only his golfing skills, but in himself as a person as well. He learned many valuable lessons that he will carry with himself throughout his life. One of his main takeaways from the sport are the friends and memories he made. 

“I have learned to respect people and how to interact with new people every week. The best moments we had as a team this year is going 26-6 and winning our first tournament at Skytop Golf Course. Just knowing that I have the best teammates that will always pick you up is such a good feeling. But the van rides home are always such a good time, especially after all of us played well,” he said. 

Joey and his teammates accomplished many goals that they set for themselves and they were very happy with the improvement they saw altogether. 

“My biggest accomplishment throughout the years is just being able to compete. Working hard every year to be able to compete with the best of the mountain league, I am proud of where I have come, not only on the golf course, but golf has taught me how to respect all types of people. It has been a very fun four years,” Joey said. 

LaBelle Staff

The girls are also having an outstanding season with a record of 20-0. Senior Sara Rados is happy with how the team has performed and has seen a lot of improvement throughout the season, all shown through their undefeated season.

“I expected that since we didn’t have many seniors last year, I figured that the team would play pretty well and win at least a few matches. I have seen improvement in all of the girls on the team this year and I’m super proud of them,” Sara said. 

She has made fun memories with her teammates as they traveled to and from their matches. The girls had a very close bond and became close friends as the season went on. 

“Some of the best moments so far have been just having fun with my teammates. The van ride home after matches is probably one of the highlights,” Sara said. 

LaBelle Staff

The team will be sending four girls Bella Corman Sam Shaw Rylee Clute Sara Rados to Districts on October 1. Freshman Isaac Bloom, sophomore Davis Corman, juniors Keith Hamilton and Evan Braughler, and seniors Joey Bruni and Gavin Fravel will be going to sectionals on Thursday October 1 for the boys’ division.