A guide to quarantining from school

Amaya Rothrock, Editor in Chief

More and more students are having to quarantine as cases of the Coronavirus continue to rise in our area, and many are finding themselves growing bored of being at home or losing motivation. But, being trapped at home for two weeks might not necessarily be a bad thing. There are plenty of things you can do to keep yourself occupied and safely have fun while staying motivated. 

Sometimes a two-week quarantine break can be refreshing. It can give you some time to relax and get caught up with schoolwork. However, many students are procrastinating at home and are struggling to stay focused on completing their work.

It is very important to stay on top of your classwork at home and the way to start is by making a schedule for yourself so you have a routine. Begin the day by getting up early and getting dressed as you normally would if you were going to school. I also recommend designating a comfortable spot to be your “school” area. This area should be neatly organized and clean, nobody enjoys working in a cluttered environment. Do not work in bed because this can often lead to drowsiness and a lack of motivation or concentration to get things done. You should Try to pay attention to your classes and engage as you normally would. It is extremely important to ask and answer questions, even if it is through a Google Meet, so that you can still get a good understanding of the material even if you are not physically at school. 

Students are finding that they are completing their assignments ahead of time and have lots of free time in the afternoon. This time should be taken advantage of. We are quickly approaching winter, so try to spend as much time as possible outside. Go on walks, ride a bike, or even drive around so you can see some new scenery other than your house. It’s really nice to just get out and do things, as long as you are not sick and you aren’t going into public areas. It’s important to remember that you are in quarantine, so you should follow quarantine rules in order to keep yourself and others safe. You can do at-home workouts to keep yourself active and moving. 

This time of quarantine can be used for self improvement. Take time to reorganize your room and decorate. With the holidays coming up this is the perfect time to begin decorating. Even if you don’t have many decorations for the holidays right now, you can easily make your own DIY decorations that are especially unique because you made them. You can also order them online from Amazon, Target, Walmart, etc. Ordering online is really convenient right now because there are a lot more sales and there is much faster shipping because of the pandemic.  In my opinion, you can’t decorate too early for the holidays this year because everyone can use some holiday cheer considering everything that has happened in 2020. People are feeling a bit drained and can use some happiness.  

Having to quarantine can be really disappointing since you can’t go out and see your friends, but there are plenty of things you can do to make it somewhat enjoyable. Take advantage of this time and make it fun.