Education’s battle with COVID-19

Connor Bernier, Reporter

The year 2020 has been a bumpy ride for most people; especially with the COVID-19 pandemic, life has changed in many ways. One of the most affected aspects is education, from grade school to university, adaptations and changes have been felt across the country. 

The fight with COVID-19 in our education system is an ongoing battle that has proven to be a difficult adjustment for both students and teachers. Masks in school and avid cleansing between classes has become a new normal for students in the 2020-2021 school year. Students and teachers have both expressed their dislike for the way this school year has been going, whether through Google Meets or through in-person learning. Not being able to socialize and being bogged down by the harsh realities of our current world has made it difficult for students to be satisfied with their education. 

Personally, after speaking with friends and family who hold different outlooks and different school experiences, discovering a common theme: uncertainty. 

“I’ve been in quarantine for over two weeks now and it is just so crazy how this all works. I miss my friends and seeing all my teachers,” senior Morgan Goodman said. 

Even though school administrators and teachers have tried their best to keep us up to date and informed, there still is an underlying fear of the unknown. This virus still has a lot about it that we don’t know about, and therefore holds a mysterious status among the nation. As some choose to return to “normal life,” ignoring the guidelines and precautions, the education system is left in the dust to suffer through a global pandemic. 

A big question many parents ask regarding learning online is, “Is my child learning anything?” This is a hard question to answer. Kids are left up to their own personal devices in order to learn, which leaves that question to be answered by the student themselves. Then again, people may say learning in person is the answer, but in reality with the current changes most schools have to endure, cause students to be against learning in general. They feel unable to focus, and have more on their mind than just turning in that essay or studying for that math test. 

As information changes rapidly and new restrictions are implemented students are forced to adapt and overcome, something this generation has had to do through many scenarios and will have to continue to do for the foreseeable future. Education systems all across the country will continue and are continuing to find new ways to teach and provide any sense of normalcy they can. While students attempt to keep spirits high in such a troublesome time.