Can seniors expect a Senior Ball?

Lily Wichert, Copy Editor

Senior Ball is a night that every student looks forward to throughout their underclassmen years at Bellefonte High. But with the uncertainties surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, one question remains amongst the Class of 2021: will there be a Senior Ball? To clear the air surrounding this topic, the Red and White staff tried to find some answers.

With over 200 students in this year’s graduating class, planning an event that properly meets COVID-19 pandemic guidelines has been a challenge, according to Class of 2021 Advisor Miss Kaysey Beury. As the class advisors, Miss Beury and Mrs. Kelley Kreiger obtain the role of guiding the students involved in the Class Cabinet and assisting the decisions that members decide on. Senior Nathan Taylor is the president of the Class of 2021, and works closely with the class advisors to run meetings and facilitate the various ideas and plans that Class Cabinet members have. As the link between students and administration, Nathan is aware of the concerns students have regarding whether or not there will be a Senior Ball.

“The hardest part about planning Senior Ball is that it is months away, and things are changing day by day,” Nathan said. “We are still planning hopefully, but cautiously, trying to adhere to guidelines, but in hopes that things could change for the better in future months.” 

The Mountain View Country Club in Boalsburg is the set destination for Senior Ball, and the Class of 2021 has already put a down payment on the venue. 

“It has a lot of space compared to other venues, which is important for safely following the COVID-19 guidelines. It has indoor and outdoor locations, so students can properly space out,” Nathan said. 

As of now, the date of the event is set to be May 8. Regardless of the uncertainties surrounding this school year, this date is not set to change. While no theme is set in stone, the class is debating the theme for this year’s Senior Ball to be Masquerade, which was planned to be last year’s prom theme. With the requirement of face masks at any school event, this theme “would help kids adhere to guidelines if it was incorporated into the theme,” according to Nathan.  

“The class is extremely conscious of the worries coming from the student body surrounding the possibility of Senior Ball not happening,” Nathan said. “It is up to the students themselves if they want to purchase a dress or suit ahead of time, and whether or not they are comfortable attending the event.” 

Traditionally, seniors have been able to bring outside guests as a date to the Senior Ball. However, with the COVID-19 pandemic, there is a possibility that students will be able to still do this, but more discussion is needed to decide this before students purchase tickets for the event. 

“We haven’t had a social event in well over a year, and that is such an important part of high school to students and the memories they have,” Nathan said. “No matter how many accommodations we have to make, the Class Cabinet is hopeful in planning this important event.”