A new minimum wage

Ella Harpster, Reporter

Minimum wage is the lowest remuneration that employers can legally pay their workers. In Pennsylvania minimum wage last year was $7.25. It is now 2021, and things have been argued to change. According to this minimum wage article, it states that President Joe Biden wants the minimum wage to be 15 dollars an hour. 

According to the article, raising the minimum wage to $15 by 2025 President Joe Biden got a relief package of 1.9 trillion dollars. He wants to increase the minimum wage in bits and pieces until it hits 15 dollars in 2025. In 2012 the minimum wage cost was still $7.25. It has not changed through the years. That was stated in the article, Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2012. This year has been hectic due to the pandemic. Citizens of the U.S. have lost their jobs or they have quit because they needed to support their families at home. 

From the article, problems with minimum wage, the minimum wage being increased to 15 dollars will increase labor costs. It is difficult if you are a food service worker because majors are already really thin. It will increase employment. There is only so much money for payroll, and if wages go up, owners of businesses will not be able to afford as large a staff. 

Small business owners have troubles right now in how the world is due to the pandemic. One dollar an hour can cost a small-business owner thousands of dollars in payroll expenses. Payroll is a list of company’s employees and the amount of money they are to be paid for how much they have worked for.  

The rules for underage working vary due to the particular age of the minor and the particular job involved. The FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act) sets 14 years old as the minimum age for employment citizens. It limits the number of hours worked by minors under the age of 16. This was stated in the article, Age Requirements. The FLSA is a United States labor law that creates the right to a minimum age, and “time-and-a-half” overtime pay when people work over 40 hours a week. This is from, Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938

Some might ask themselves questions such as, ‘Am I getting paid enough?’ Many believe they are not due to the countless expenses that come along with simple living. 

“The answer is no, no one is getting paid enough. Adults have bills to pay, and kids to support and buy everyday essentials for them and for themselves. Especially gas prices rising is hard on citizens who already have troubles paying for gas for transport”, an anonymous Junior in this high school said.