Track and field taking the lead

Hope Martin, Editor in Chief

The adrenaline is pumping through the runners’ veins as they stand in front of the starting line, waiting for the gunshot that will release the power and speed in their legs. When the gun fires, the runners shoot off as quickly as they can, doing their best to stay at the front of the competition. As they cross the finish line, their teammates and coaches cheer at the top of their lungs. 

Track and field is a sport that has something for everyone. There are sprinters, long distance runners, jumpers, and throwers. People interested in joining the team can try all of the different events, and the coaches can help them decide where they fit in best.

One of the major setbacks for the team this year is that they did not get to participate last season due to the COVID-19 virus outbreak. This has been an issue for many spring sports this year as everyone takes some time to get back in the swing of things.

It is almost like having two freshman classes since our sophomores did not have that first year of competing at a varsity level.” Coach Miller said. The coaches have to relearn who the team is and what the team’s new strengths are since they didn’t get to know the new teammates last year.

The COVID-19 pandemic has caused many new obstacles for the coaches. However, they maintain a positive attitude and have come up with methods to help the team overcome these obstacles. The coaches had mid-December workouts to help the younger students begin to develop skills before the season actually began. The coaches believe that if the students approach every day as a day to improve, the team will succeed. 

“I tell the team regularly that “It’s a great day to get better”, whether they take that to hear it or not, there is some truth behind that quote.” Coach Miller said. 

Senior Matthew Connelly is an example of one of the runners who participates in a variety of events that include; the 400, 800, 4×800 relay, and the 4×400 relay. Senior Austin Melius also participates in a large variety that includes; the 400, 800, 1600, 3200, the 4×400 relay, and the 4×800 relay.  

Every athlete in track and field has a favorite event to do and to watch. For Matt, his favorite event to do is the 800, and his favorite to watch is the 4×100 relay because he  “ ike[s] how competitive that it is,”  For Austin, his favorite to participate in is the 1600 and the 800. He also loves watching the jumping events.  

Almost every senior on the team will miss an aspect of being on the team when they graduate. Matt will miss competing against his friends and competition. Austin is going to miss his coaches and friends the most. 

“They make track and field fun. Not the events, since they are a pain most of the time,” Austin said.

Track and field teaches the team more than just running, throwing, and jumping.  It teaches everyone on the team life lessons that will help them not just in the sport, but also in the future.

“This sport will change your life and teach you pain and hardship in the bad times and how to work hard for what you want,” Austin said.

Track and field has left many impacts and fun experiences with the members of the team. The most memorable experience for Matt is whenever he first lettered in a track meet. He also learned a valuable lesson that he will carry with him. 

“If you work hard, you can achieve anything,” Matt said. 

Whether you are a runner, thrower, jumper, or just don’t know, the track and field team will do what they can to make you feel a part of the team. 

“Track and field is not just running. Yes, it is a part of it, but it is a great group of people that makes it what it is,” Austin said.