Get out and vote

Centre County residents prepare to vote in the Primary Election tomorrow

Hope Martin, Editor in Chief

As the world changes around us, the people of Pennsylvania need to decide what to do in order to help our state excel. We must decide who to elect into the Pennsylvania offices.

The primary election will be held tomorrow, while the  General election will be held on November 2, 2021. Polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. You can drop off your ballots at the Willowbank Office Building, Centre Hall MDJ Office, Ferguson Township Building, Patton Township Building, Philipsburg MDJ Office, Spring Township Building, State College Borough Building, and HUB-Robeson Center, according to Center County Votes.   

The positions for which elections are being held are for the Justice of the Supreme Court, Judge of the Superior Court, Judge of the Commonwealth Court, Judge of the Court of Common Pleas, and Judge of the Municipal Court, according to dos.pa.gov.

In order to vote, you have to register. In Pennsylvania, you must be at least 18 years-old,  have been a United States citizen for at least a month before the election, and be a registered resident in Pennsylvania for at least 30 days before the election to register and vote. The deadline for registering is 15 days before the election, according to Ballotpedia

At the polls, people are not allowed to campaign within ten feet of the polling location or discuss any political subjects within the polling place. If voters need any assistance, they can feel free to ask an election official for help. 

Students at BAHS volunteer each year to help out at the polling stations. They will be assigned to work in different locations throughout Centre County. 

To work the polls, the students have to go through training. However, the training does not differ on the bigger elections. 

Presidential elections have more volume of voter turnout which doesn’t affect training but rather how the poll workers handle the issues that arise,” says Gifted Enrichment Coordinator and AP Government teacher Mr. Edward Fitzgerald. 

Students who spend their days working at these elections receive a paycheck for their work. The paycheck will start with a set amount, but can increase with voter turnout. 

It is important to vote for local elections, because who you vote into office will determine some of the outcomes of your state. It is important for voters to choose someone that represents the things that they would like to see change or happen in their state. If able, be sure to vote for who you support.