Chalk the Walk

Alexis Eakin, Staff Reporter

This October, sidewalks at BHS will go from colorless to colorful. Chalk the Walk, hosted by the National Honor Society, will happen after school on October 12, 13, 20, and 21. 

Chalk the Walk is an event in which students can purchase a piece of a square on the sidewalk to draw and be creative on. A full square costs $20, half of a square is $10, and $5 purchases one-fourth of a square. 

“We are hoping that this becomes an annual event. Especially during either Homecoming week and/or the month of October,” National Honors Society (NHS) advisor and AP Psych and history teacher Mrs. Christine Morris said.

This is the first time that the high school is doing Chalk the Walk.

“The idea for Chalk the Walk at the high school comes from the event of the same name and nature that has happened in downtown Bellefonte during previous summers,” Mrs. Morris said.

“Chalk the Walk is an idea that NHS had come up with and teamed up with Student Council for…we’re hoping for a lot of students to participate considering that the event is for a really good cause,” Angelina Aviles, president of the BHS chapter of NHS said.

During this event, students will be coloring their square on the sidewalk with inspiring ideas and designs. 

“We are doing it so that we can raise money for Mini-Thon. It is not a fundraiser, it is purely a donation to Four Diamonds. Neither NHS nor Student Council will receive any money for this event,” Angelina said. 

Mini-Thon is a foundation that helps fund pediatric cancer research. As an article from  the National Cancer Institute described that, “Pediatric cancers are very rare. The most common types of pediatric cancer are leukemia, brain and spinal cord tumors, lymphoma, neuroblastoma, Wilms tumor (a type of kidney cancer), retinoblastoma, and cancers of the bone and soft tissue… a cancer diagnosis is upsetting at any age, but especially so when the patient is a child.”

An article from The National Pediatric Cancer Foundation  stated that 

“Each day, 43 kids in the US are expected to be diagnosed with cancer.”  

The number one cause of death among young children is cancer. Sadly there is still not a cure for cancer, but donations through events such as Chalk the Walk help fund research that works to figure out ways to get rid of cancer.