Twilight the movie review – terrible but fun

Evan Culter, Staff Reporter

Twilight is a 2008 romance film based upon the book series of the same name by Stephanie Meyers. The first film is directed by Cartherine Hardwicke. The story follows Bella Swan, played by Kristen Stewart, who has just moved to the town in Washington and goes to a new high school. She soons meets Edward Cullen, played by Robert Pattinson, who has an odd infatuation with her. She makes the discovery that he’s a vampire and they fall in love. But Bella is in for a world that she is not prepared for. 

This movie and the entire series is awful. There are barely any good factors in the entire pentology. It is a mix of poor acting, inconsistent effects, and very unfulfilling story that just makes this a complete and utter chore to watch if you want a good movie. However, if you watch it to make fun of it, it is a complete blast. 

I will clarify that I find Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart to be good actors. But the acting from the two in this series is extremely mediocre and it can be completely laughable at points. Kristen Stewart is bland and monotone for a lot of the series. She does pull off the awkwardness but it is most of her character and it is annoying. She has the acting of a plank of wood. Then there is Robert Pattinson, who is very creepy in the series. There is a moment where Edward just stares at Bella for what seems to be an entire class period. It is very nerve-inducing and uncomfortable. 

Then there are the effects. There are a lot of the effects in the series that are extremely well done. The visuals for the werewolves are the best effects in the entire movie, but then there are effects that are laughably bad. The shining example is the CGI for Edward and Bella’s baby in Breaking Dawn Part 1 and 2. That effect looks like the living representation of the uncanny valley. It was originally going to be an animatronic which might look worse. 

The story is where it gets the most disappointing for me because there are some genuinely interesting aspects of it. The other Cullens are interesting characters from different aspects of history. The volturi are opposing villains that show a genuine threat throughout the series. But what is most of the story focused on? The love triangle between Bella, Edward, and Jacob, played by Taylor Lautner, which is completely bland at best and horribly toxic at worst. Both Edward and Jacob have the factor of being so concerned for Bella’s safety but always seem to make the situation ten times worse when they get involved. Edward and Bella’s relationship started when Edward saw her and he looked like he just smelled a fart. Jacob and Bella’s relationship does not start off horrible until Jacob becomes a werewolf. Then he becomes toxic while trying to get Bella to get together with him. Then he falls in love with her baby which is all types of wrong. 

Twilight is one of my favorite bad movies to watch. It is so completely crazy and boring that they are a blast to watch and laugh at. I fully understand why it was and still is as successful as it is. According to Forbes, the Twilight movies made 3.317 billion dollars worldwide and are extremely popular on the streaming platform, Netflix. The main actor, Robert Patinson is going to be in the Matt Reeves The Batman movie while Kristen Stewart is playing Princess Diana in Spencer . If you want to have some fun with a bad movie, the Twilight series is the one to watch.