BAHS tackles “Powderpuff” once again

Lilly Guenther, Copy Editor

By LILLY GUENTHER, Copy Editor 

On May 25 at 5:30 p.m., BAHS held its first annual “Powder Puff” football game since the COVID-19 pandemic. 

“Powder Puff” games are a tradition at many high schools across the country. At BAHS, the game is organized by the Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) club as its annual state project. This year, the proceeds of the event went to the Feeding America organization. 

Mrs. Rebecca Leitzell has been an FBLA club advisor for 14 years, and lead advisor for 6 years. She managed the logistics and organization of the “Powder Puff” event. She says that, to her,  the event has multiple benefits.

“While we are raising money for a good cause, the purpose of the event is to have fun.  It helps foster a sense of camaraderie among students and brings family, friends, and members of the community out to enjoy a night of fun,” she said. 

At the event, junior and senior girls competed against each other in a flag football game. Junior and senior boys cheered from the sidelines, and at halftime each performed their own cheer routine, complete with uniforms. Many boys also took coaching positions, and the game was refereed by math teacher Mr. Jonathan Virgilio and Dean of Students Mr. Andy Caruso. The seniors won the game, with a close lead of 8-7. 

In preparation for the game, each team planned and held their own practices. The cheerleaders choreographed and learned their own performances. 

Senior Nolan Weaver, along with a group of other senior boys, coached the senior team to victory. He reflected that, although the game was for fun, they worked hard to prepare for it, and that is was challenging to “[Get] them (the players) to understand the basic concepts of football since many of them never played or were around football a lot.” 

The coaches have been taught football all of their lives so we kind of needed to get on their level to relate to them,” Nolan said. 

Senior Kayle Franz played center and nose tackle on the team. For her, the most challenging thing was not the practices, but the official game. 

“There was a lot of yelling from the sidelines from fans and it was getting in our heads. [We] weren’t able to focus,” she said. 

Nevertheless, both seniors enjoyed the opportunity to participate in this activity after the extended break caused by COVID-19. 

“My favorite part was teaching them and seeing them come together as one unit. They were very enthusiastic about it, which made it easier. They were very coachable…I’m glad that the girls all had fun,” Nolan said. 

Kayle enjoyed participating in something that she had never done before. 

“It was a sport that I’ve never been able to play anymore. It gave me the opportunity to learn a new position and work with friends in a different light,” she said. 

She felt that, although there were challenges to the game, as with anything, the girls were able to tackle them head on. She advises future participants to do the same. 

“Be prepared for drama and yelling. Don’t let it get in your head. Just play the game that you practiced,” she said.