A perfect night for a parade

Pauline Alterio, Social Media and Website Manager

The sun was shining, the crowds were cheering, and the floats were lined up for Bellefonte’s 2022 Homecoming parade. 

The event was held last Thursday evening after weeks of planning from teachers, parents, and students, all of whom wanted to create a night that celebrated both Bellefonte and its schools. To say it was a success would be an incredible understatement, according to Maya Knupp, a Bellefonte senior who helped to build her class’ parade float.

“It was such a great night,” she said. “All of Bellefonte turned out to support us and we really had so much fun because of it.”

The float Maya helped to construct was one of four from the High School freshmen, sophomore, junior, and senior classes, who all competed in the annual school float competition. This parade contest is held each year on a thematic basis, with each class designing their own float to vy for first-place recognition from two teacher judges, who select their favorite based upon creative expression, execution, and enthusiasm. This year’s theme was “classic movie scene,” and the senior class took first place with their The Wizard of Oz float. Second place was awarded to the sophomores’ Avengers float, third place to the juniors’ Star Wars, and fourth place to the freshmens’ Grease.

The Senior Class’ “Wizard of Oz” float. (LaBelle staff)

Behind the class float lineup were dozens of sports teams, school clubs, and community programs, all who paraded the streets of Bellefonte with colorful banners and candy. Though planning was less extensive for these groups than it was the classes, thorough coordination and dedication were still necessary tools for a fun evening. Senior Landon Simpson said he found it harder than expected to secure success.

“It was surprisingly difficult to find the right driver and props for Faye [Dubin] and I’s ride, which were all expected since we were a Homecoming royalty couple,” he said. “Despite this we had a great time. I loved seeing everyone and getting to throw candy to all the kids.”

Head on over to @redandwhite on Instagram for photos and pictures of the parade, along with other Homecoming and school events.