A night to remember: Celebrating Homecoming’s 50th anniversary

Davis Corman, Editor-in-Chief

Singing, laughter, and dancing were all in abundance at Bellefonte High, as students got to experience one last event to end the 50th Homecoming anniversary festivities

On October 1, doors opened at 7:00 p.m., marking the start of the Homecoming dance. Organized by the school’s Student Council, it was a first for new advisors Mr. Edward Fitzgerald and Mrs. Christine Morris. However, their inexperience in holding a dance would prove irrelevant to the night. 

“Overall, planning for Homecoming started last June on the last day of school. The overall planning was not stressful because we planned early but, I would say the most stressful part was not knowing specific details,” Mrs. Morris said.

Although the dance began in the evening, much had been going on throughout the day to ensure it went off without a hitch. Members from the Student Council stepped up to volunteer in the dance setup, which started at 1:00 p.m.

“Setting up for the dance is stressful but fun and always a good laugh. My favorite part of setting up was definitely making a balloon arch,” senior Madison Melius said.

After setup, the work that students had put in for weeks was finally completed, and before they knew it, it was 7:00 p.m. Students dressed in semi-formal outfits began to flood in the doors, excited for the night ahead. By 7:30, as the doors closed, over 300 individuals packed into the cafeteria, busting out their best moves.

“I had a lot of fun at the dance. I rarely dance in that kind of setting, so I always love when my friends and I can attend these events,” senior Olivia Smith said. 

At one point, juniors Sadie Thomas, William “Grady” Garrison, and Owen Patina got on a table and began dancing to the “Cupid Shuffle” as many watched on.

“Homecoming was very fun this year. Grady, Owen, and I were doing the Cupid Shuffle on the table to get everyone hyped up,” Sadie said.

This moment was one of many that took place, becoming a highlight of the students’ night. Others included dance circles, conga lines, and line dancing. Any and every chance to break a move was taken by the attendees.

“I thought it was great how everyone got along so well last night. It was so much fun to dance with them all,” junior Alyssa Hopkins said. 

By 10:00 p.m., as the dance ended, it was clear the night had been a success. The Student Council’s time and effort had created a memorable evening for many, leaving lasting memories for students

“It was so grand to be able to see students  gather again in such a festive manner. It truly made the 50th anniversary of Bellefonte’s Homecoming so much more memorable,” Mr. Fitzgerald said.