Keeping our athletes healthy

Addison Shawley, Staff Reporter

Two of the most underappreciated people at Bellefonte High are Kelsey Rote and Demitri Probst. These two are Bellefonte’s athletic trainers. They work at Drayer Physical Therapy, then after school come to BHS to help the school’s athletes.  

The trainers are busy by the time the last bell rings, assisting with lots of things around the school, such as getting athletes drinks and helping with any pain they may have.  

Senior Dominic Capperella has been involved in multiple sports throughout his time at BHS, and has encountered the trainers in various scenarios. He can attest to their busy schedule. 

“The trainers work a full day and then come to BHS. They help with specific injuries but also have regular visitors, who progress in healing through repeated sessions with the trainers,” he said. 

Junior Trevor Johnson notes that the trainers do more than just help with physical health. 

“They are always there to talk and always have innovative ways of keeping us healthy,” he said. 

Rote grew up in the northwest part of the state in Erie, PA. She attended Fairview High School and upon graduation enrolled at Mercyhurst University, located near where she grew up. 

After Rote graduated from Mercyhurst in 2016, she got a job at a high school halfway between Bellefonte and Erie. She has been an athletic trainer for six years.

One thing that she is passionate about is recognizing the work of those in sports medicine professions. 

“Athletic trainers are sports medicine professionals, and many people are unaware of what we do. We are always trying to spread awareness and educate the community,” she said. 

Probst grew up in the Renova area, attending Bucktail High. He later went on to attend Lock Haven University. He was also a collegiate athlete and wrestled for Lock Haven. It was there that he knew he would pursue the athletic training route and help kids. 

“I enjoy being around sports and the medicine side of things. I enjoy helping athletes achieve their dreams,” he said.

Our trainers work around the clock helping students with whatever they may need. Their ultimate goal is to keep all student athletes healthy and reach any goals they may have. They work as a team to achieve all of these goals and they love what they do. 

Senior Madison Melius is appreciative of what the trainers do for the school and its students. 

“Our trainers are the absolute best. They keep all of our athletes together and are always there for us. They can joke with us and are always an outlet to talk to,” she said.