Teacher of the month: Mr. Kevin Harman

Isaac Gall, Photographer

On the green and in the classroom, Mr. Kevin Harman is a leader and role model for students in the community, as well as a guide to newer teachers. 

Mr. Harman teaches Physics, Honors Physics, Current Science Trends, and is also the golf coach at Bellefonte Area High School. He has been a mentor to newer faculty, serves as the BAHS science department chair, and currently works as  the BAHS technology coordinator, serving as a huge computer guru for everyone. 

His colleagues think highly of Mr. Harman, including biology teacher Mrs. Drew Eddinger. Mrs. Eddinger believes that Mr. Harman has been a good mentor and advisor for her, especially during her earlier years as a teacher.

¨I started at Bellefonte as a newer teacher, and I’ve always felt like I can rely on him when I need advice or an encouraging word. He also does so much behind the scenes to keep our school running smoothly,¨ Mrs. Eddinger said.

Along with the teachers, lots of students enjoy having Mr. Harman around. They respect and highly appreciate the effort that Mr. Harman puts into this school, whether that is for his class projects or certain committees.

“During one of the first classes he set up a bunch of neat physics demonstrations. We then went around proposing theories of how they worked with Mr. Harman patiently guiding the conversation,” senior Ben Hargrove said, who had Mr Harman for Honors Physics last year. 

Ben believes that Mr. Harman is thoughtful in his lessons and actions. 

“Everything that Mr. Harman does is for a reason. He really wants his students to have a deep understanding of concepts and to think critically so that they can succeed even beyond his class,” Ben said. 

Mr. Harman has been teaching for twenty three years, and all of these have been at BAHS. His favorite part of teaching is helping people do things they didn’t think they could do and watching people that he works with grow.

“Whether it is a student in class, a teacher I’m helping, or a golfer getting better, my joy is helping others do things they didn’t think they could do,” he said. 

Mr. Harman is an inspiration to us all and someone that we can look up to. In the last 23 years he has had a very positive impact on our school.