Key Club comes together for local first responders

Hope Martin, Editor in Chief

The Bellefonte Key Club has been making an impact on many people. They continue to find ways to assist those around them. They are currently finding ways to support our first responders  by creating gift baskets to distribute to them. 

Club advisor and English teacher Jennifer Walter has been part of Key Club for 11 years. Along with Mrs. Walter, the members of Key Club came up with an idea to do something for our first responders to show their appreciation.  

The other members thought it was a good idea and collaborated as a group to figure out what we should do for the first responders. They decided to put together gift baskets and deliver them on the twenty-eighth of October, Appreciation day,” Mrs. Walter said. 

Mrs. Walter wasn’t the only one who thought it was a good idea. Senior and treasurer of the club, Erin Cronin agrees. 

“Due to all of the health concerns over the past few years, we felt it would be nice to send our appreciation through gifts to all of the heroes in our community like healthcare workers and first responders,” Erin said.

Inside the baskets, the members placed drinks, snacks, pens and notepads, coloring books, sanitizers, stickers, and little calendars. 

Key Club is a student-led community service club that focuses on growing in leadership, character, inclusion, and caring. 

“We work to improve our school, local community, and the global community through various acts of service,” Mrs. Walter said.

The Key Club has done many things over the past few years to help in the community. 

“We visit children in preschools and read to them, seniors living in care facilities to play games with them, and Bellefonte elementary schools to help with different school activities,” Mrs. Walter said.

Key Club is associated with several services and organizations. They do what they can to assist them.

“We also do fundraisers to donate to charities; we are connected with organizations like Sunshine Foundation, UNICEF, Caitlyn’s Smiles, and Toys for Tots,” Mrs. Walter said.

The Key Club is always on the move to be doing things to assist in the community.

“We do multiple events every month. We try to do one major project each month, like Toys for Tots in December, and one mini service project per month, like the First Responder gift baskets in October. We also plan field trips to local schools, daycares, and senior care facilities about once every quarter,” said Mrs. Walter. 

Key Club accepts new members at any time. To join, just email Mrs. Walter to get access to the Google Classroom. In there, students can find the membership application form and find out information about club dues and meeting dates.