Bellefonte prevails in overtime thriller

Davis Corman, Editor-in-Chief

The Bellefonte boys basketball team faced off against county rivals Bald Eagle December 12. The highly-anticipated game would not let fans down, as it ended in an overtime thriller.

Prior to tip-off, it was clear that tensions were high. As both teams headed out for warm ups, the student sections remained relentless with their comments toward the opposing team.“During warmups I could hear people from the other team’s student section yelling out my name,” senior Alex Ebeling said. 

Despite these comments, the game would be settled on the court. And with a packed crowd in attendance, it would begin with a tip-off grab by the Raiders.

Shortly into the first quarter, it was evident that this would be a defensive game. Both teams had an effective defensive plan that kept the score at 7-6 in favor of Bellefonte at the end of the quarter.

Regardless, things picked up in the second with an impressive performance from the Eagles, who were able to build a 20-17 lead going into the half. 

Entering halftime, many of the Bellefonte players felt that their deficit was a result of poor offensive execution.

“I was upset because I knew the team could do better and we were still losing, but I had faith that we could pull through,” senior Cole Crissman. 

As the game entered the third quarter, things remained slow at the offensive end. Bellefonte was able to finish a few shots close to the baskets while the Eagles hit an impressive three. By the end, the Eagles maintained their lead with both teams finishing with eight points, making the score of 28-25.

Despite being down for the majority of the game, the Raiders would not end without a fight. An impressive last quarter performance by Senior Cole Crissman, along with a clutch three by Alex Ebeling resulted in a tie score of 35-35 at the end of regulation.

Going into overtime, both teams would continue to battle, with Bald Eagle Junior Sam Watkins and Bellefonte Junior Derek Cox making impressive shots to keep the game close. However, in the final seconds of the game, it would be Bellefonte Sophomore Ryder Hamilton that would seal the Eagles fate. He hit clutch free throws to extend Bellefonte’s lead to 44-39, which was the final score.

“I just told myself it’s no different than shooting any other free throws at practice,” Ryder said. 

At the end of it all, Bellefonte took home an impressive victory against their hometown rivals. It was a needed win and had underlying significance as it was against their former coach.