Season of improvement for gymnastics team

Austin Irving, Staff Reporter

After a long winter, the 2022-2023 Bellefonte gymnastics season is nearing its end after a fairly solid season with a record of 3-6.

The Bellefonte gymnasts had a relatively successful showing at their district championships, placing fourth out of six schools despite not having a full roster due to various reasons. 

Sophomore gymnast Paige Jodon got to experience this amazing event but unfortunately could not compete due to injury.

“Well it was a good experience and it was nice to get to know the other school’s gymnasts as well. I was out but watching and helping out was exciting because I feel like the atmosphere was always positive,” Paige said.

Freshman gymnast Mady Miller who has recently taken some time off of gymnastics returned for this season and had a pretty successful season qualifying for states and earning a lot of her old skills back. She was looking forward to re-joining this year as she missed the bonding and team aspect this sport brings. 

“My favorite part of gymnastics is the team, all of the practices, and laughs,” she said.

Paige has a very similar enjoyment as Mady does for gymnastics. 

“My favorite part of gymnastics is the bonds you create with one another and its like you have all these sisters in your life,” Paige said.

Both Paige and Mady have high aspirations for next year’s team as they are aiming for more overall meet wins and to upgrade their skills.

The following Red Raider gymnasts competed at the State Championship in Pittsburgh on February 17: freshmen Mady Miller and Gloria Doherty, and junior Rebecca Burns. None of the Raiders placed at the meet.