Meet the candidates for 2023 Bellefonte School Board

Noah Aberegg, Staff Reporter

Five seats on the Bellefonte Area School District’s Board of Directors are up for election. On Tuesday, May 16, during the primary election, Democratic and Republican voters will nominate their five candidates for the general election in November. Eleven candidates are running for office. Out of those eleven, four are seeking re-election: Nate Campbell, Julie Fitzgerald, Donna Smith, and Kimberly Weaver. Seven are challenging the incumbent for School Board Director: Jennfier Barnhart, Patrick Buck, Paul Dombrowski, Denelle Korn, Timothy Kessler, Darrell Sharp, and Joe Yech. The BAHS Red and White conducted interviews with each of the eleven candidates, which are written below. 

Candidates are listed in alphabetical order, and do not reflect a preference of the Red & White staff or the Bellefonte Area School District.

Jennifer Barnhart

What makes you the best candidate for this position?

There are several factors that I think make me recognizable as a strong asset to the Bellefonte Area School Board. I have shown continuous perseverance to accomplish what I’ve set forth personally and professionally, I’m currently active in the community which includes students, parents, teachers, administration and residents within the district and I whole-heartedly recognize that the strength of the board relies on the expertise and skills of each individual that is a part of the Bellefonte community. Additionally, my educational and professional experiences add to the areas of expertise in looking at situations from different perspectives (social work, fundraising, communications,etc.). It has been drawn to my attention that part of what others saw in me that caused them to encourage me to run is my ability to listen to all viewpoints openly and sincerely, to speak up when I feel there is a need and that my actions speak louder than words. I am very appreciative of the support and complimentary encouragement that I have received and truly hope that I again get to stay true to those kind views. 

How do you plan to ensure that students from all backgrounds are given equal access and equal opportunity in our schools?

It is my belief that true diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are the core of what makes every group/organization better. In order to completely embrace this, we must recognize and celebrate our differences at the same time as our similarities. It is my intention to have as many conversations with as many as possible and really listen to what matters to them and their ideas on how to make things better. What is important to maintain is focus on the mission of what we are trying to accomplish. Much like a group project in school, we all have our parts and expertise and that is what we need to focus on. One of the things that I have noticed even prior to deciding to run for Bellefonte School Board is the lack of representation of many groups at these meetings. There are so many public school board meetings where there is no one coming to speak either of the good happenings or the concerns. I plan on actively recruiting/encouraging anyone and everyone that approaches me to come to the meeting and speak up about those items that encourage their Bellefonte pride and what they feel is needed to increase that pride. 

How do you plan to involve students in the decision making process and ensure their voices are heard?

I am beyond grateful to have this question asked as I think student involvement is widely under-appreciated and not encouraged enough. There seems to be a mindset that because it is the adults duty to care for our children that we know what is best. If there is one thing that I have learned as a parent and being around their peers, is that the students know best what it is like to be them, especially when given the ability and encouragement to speak their experiences. This is part of the diversity that I spoke to previously, but having the current students and adults talking and listening to each other is so incredibly powerful. Directly, I would like to see more students have a role in the board meetings. Currently, there seems to be two student representatives that attend and speak for clubs and athletics, but I don’t feel that truly captures the experience. It would need to be pre-established but I think having a few representatives to speak at a scheduled board meeting and encouraging students to speak during the public comment portion if something they feel pertinent arises would be two of my first encouragements, but would love to hear some ideas presented by the students too. No matter what is decided, it will be my priority to hear and advocate for them. I do need to make a note, that this lies more with the high school and middle school, and will need to be more creative, such as attending events at the elementary school level. 

What is your vision for the future of education and how will you work to achieve that in our community?

Personally, I would love to see education at Bellefonte start to focus on the whole student. Embracing the academic and non-academic skills at full force. I want to see more partnerships with business and members of the community to provide each and every student more opportunities. I love seeing a local food truck at a field day or a club fundraiser and would like to see some of the many professional opportunities provided to our students as options and opportunities (such a career day possibly). For example, I work in Development & Alumni Relations at Penn State. I would doubt if even 25% of juniors or seniors were awarded these types of jobs where you can travel, philanthropy, event planning, etc. but I would love to open up the possibilities. Additionally, my hope to place more focus on ethical and human relations through my example of leadership. I know as a parent, there is nothing more exciting then when someone tells you how kind or respectful your child is. I think looking at the volunteer hours more closely and encouraging student pride in their choices for volunteering. I would love to have every child find their career/life path that is for them and to be so proud of themselves!

Patrick Buck

(no photo provided)

First and foremost I am a parent of two, and as a result, I have a strong interest in ensuring the district continues to flourish and keep academics and safety at the forefront of all decisions.  I am also not native to the Bellefonte area, as such, I can bring a different perspective on key topics.  I believe it is important to have a diverse set of ideas and opinions, as it is a healthy way to work towards the most effective solutions.

It is important to ensure all students have the resources they need to be successful.  Identifying the strengths and weaknesses of each student and creating a system that allows for multiple paths to success is critical.  All students should have the same opportunities; however, it is also important for the students to apply themselves and recognize their hard work will optimize their success in the future.  The school’s job is to provide the tools and opportunities, the student’s job is to leverage those tools and clear their own path to achieve greatness.

I believe everyone should have a voice and that their voice be heard.  This means that the student body, parents, teachers, community members, should all have a presence and share their thoughts, opinions, and ideas.  The best way to develop solutions is to have an open forum to discuss all ideas and opportunities, a greater presence at board meetings is a great start!  Inevitably, people will disagree on things, that is human nature as we all have different life experiences and ideas.  By being open and honest with one another we can all clearly understand where one other is coming from and use that to formulate the best solutions.

The schools should work to create a more flexible curriculum that allows students to maximize their potential in areas they excel.  Continuing to work with local businesses and industry is a great way to give students more opportunity to truly gain valuable experience in a real world setting.  Establishing co-op programs with businesses could give students more clarity on what a specific career or industry is like. Instead of someone telling you in a classroom what something is like, you could see it firsthand!  I personally went to college; however, I will be the first to tell you that college is not for everyone, and it is very common for schools to push for college as a broad stroke next step for students.  This can put students on the wrong path and potentially result in unnecessary debt, college is one path, but not the only path.  Vocational schools can provide a great opportunity to students to develop real world skills that they can apply post graduation.  There is a huge need for trade skills in our country, and working with local businesses could provide a jump start for students to be better prepared after graduation.  Students may also gain more clarity on things they like, or just as important, things they do not like.  Furthermore, imagine that a student is interested in plumbing or carpentry, what if the school offered a small business or entrepreneurship class specifically designed to give them insight on what additional options they have with that trade skill?  There are many ways to be successful, the schools need to unearth ways to expose students to all paths to get there.

Nate Campbell

I have served on a variety of public boards and committees, I was on the Benner Twp Planning Commission for 13 years and served as Chair for 9 years. I had also been on the rebranding committee, building committee, and the ESSER funds committee prior to joining the board. I also have 2 children in the district so I have a vested interest in the quality of the education being provided.

This is a very important topic that we have started to tackle while I have been on the board, the first steps are listening to students, parents, and staff to understand where the school could do better. Then next steps will be ensuring that policy and resources are used to support the areas that need improvement.

The main way we hear from students is through the surveys that are sent out to try to understand what is happening and how students feel about their experiences while in school. The board is not in the school to have an actual experience of what is happening. I would welcome hearing from more students so we can better understand what is needed and what works well.

It is hard to predict where education might be in 10 or 20 years, however I believe that we need to stay flexible and adaptable to changes as they come our way. I believe that technology will continue to drive the changes in our schools and I hope that it will open more opportunities for students to better customize their education to suit what they want and need.

Paul Dombrowski

I don’t know that I am the “best” candidate–that is for you  to decide.  I feel I am very well-qualified for the director position.  I am an emeritus professor of English with 30 years experience in higher education.  I think of it as the output end of the education pipeline for those with academic aspirations, and I look forward to now working on the input end of the pipeline.  I have degrees in Communication and Rhetoric, Counselor Education, English, and Mathematics.  I am deeply committed to service to our community, meaning “community” as the Bellefonte area, the state, the nation, and internationally as the family of humankind.

Diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging are vital, fundamental principles for which I stand and will not compromise.  Current opposition to these principles is actually nothing more than frank racism wearing a new face.  We fought an ugly, brutal Civil War to stand as a nation against racism.  Opposition to racism has been and is the law of the land, and efforts to resurrect racism are at root lawless–and this message needs to be brought home literally to the parents of our students as well as to the students themselves.  I think we should research “best practices” within the Commonwealth and across the nation, and adapt them to our circumstances. 

More frequently invite students to board meetings and to meet with individual board members.  Seek inputs from those who are usually uninvolved or unsure of themselves, to avoid hearing only from the loudest or most articulate voices.

Public education, equal for all and grounded in the Constitution, is literally under attack.  Education must stand for the full truth and open debate about practices.  Governor DeSantis of Florida is clearing out the libraries and persecuting minorities, and he hopes to become the next President.  Standing against moneyed and powerful such voices will take courage and a strong sense of honor—and it must be done.

Julie Fitzgerald

The next four years will be a very exciting and pivotal time in our district. I believe the experience that I have gained as a current board member has prepared me well to navigate many of the challenging decisions the board will face in the years ahead. I have proven myself as someone who is willing to put in the time to understand the issues, seek community input and listen to other viewpoints in an effort to find common ground that moves the district forward.  I am also a parent of two recent alumni so I have seen all aspects of the K-12 student experience. Through my work at Penn State, I have developed knowledge of various technologies as well as an understanding of the career readiness skills that employers are now seeking in graduates. I am a strong advocate of public education and am passionate about ensuring that Bellefonte provides the best education and environment for all students.

Public education is a fundamental right to all students. As a school board, we have a responsibility to ensure that all students are given equal opportunity to realize their potential in a safe and supportive learning environment. To ensure we are meeting this responsibility, we need to understand district data related to student achievement and student experience. The data can identify if there are gaps, inequity or disproportionality that need to be addressed.  The strategic planning process would help identify resources or changes in policy and practice to ensure that all students are given the same opportunity to succeed. Continuous benchmarking and monitoring of data will show the impact of these efforts and continue to guide future interventions, practice and policy.  

The board has two student representatives that regularly provide reports at board meetings.  All students should be able to share feedback or concerns with these student reps who in turn would share with the board. That said, I would like to see the feedback loop between students and board members strengthened further.  Informally as a board member, I have enjoyed meeting students at various events and learning about their experience as a student in the district.  However, there is opportunity at the board level to broaden sources of student input and feedback. Obviously, student reps attend board meetings but perhaps it may make sense if a board member also attended a student council meeting on occasion to share board happenings and hear directly from students. In addition, perhaps student advisory committees could be established or existing student committees could also engage with the board to provide student feedback on topics such as curriculum, extracurricular activities, school safety, etc. The student voice is vital and the best decisions are made when the board engages all stakeholders in the decision making process.

Students need to be prepared for the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead.The education of twenty years ago doesn’t necessarily provide what today’s students need to succeed. That means we need to be forward thinking to ensure the available curriculum, technology and resources prepare students to thrive in a rapidly changing world.We also need to understand that students learn in different ways and need to utilize various strategies and technologies to ensure that all students can develop the competencies needed to succeed.  Education should spark curiosity and a desire in all to continually learn and grow even beyond formal schooling. It’s important for the school district to understand the career readiness skills that graduates need and utilize the comprehensive planning and evaluation process to guide continuous improvement so that students today are prepared to be the leaders of tomorrow.

Timothy Kessler

The BAHS Red and White reached out to Timothy Kessler twice for an interview, but did not receive a response.

Denelle Korn

I believe that I would bring a fresh perspective to our Board, as well as experience with laws that guide educational processes.  Having 3 children, 2 who have IEP’s and are also autistic, I understand and appreciate the vast learning needs of students as well as the need to assure they have an inclusive learning experience to grow to their fullest potential.  

Inclusivity is so important to our children’s education as well as their extracurricular activities, focusing on marginalized groups in our school district will help uncover those needs more clearly. But speaking generally, equal access certainly requires creative ideas and solutions- making sure that we create spaces for learning that compliment a students learning style/ability/background is first and foremost, education is not one size fits all. I personally am a very visual/hands on learner so for me just reading a lesson was hard unless I had visuals to support it.  I have two children with different educational needs allows me to understand and appreciate the vast array of needs that students might have.  In addition, having up to date and advanced adaptive equipment for students is a perfect means to having equal access to education.

Our students are intuitive, smart and bring creative “outside of the box” ideas a group of adults may not think about.  Students should absolutely be able to have a voice in the spaces they spend so much of their time- it’s basically their second home.  Having individual conversations is a great way to start, also looking at your student body representatives meeting with board members on issues would be a good way of demonstrating collaborative work. If you needed a larger group opinion, I think using a survey platform is also a great tool to see what our students want/need.

My vision for Bellefonte is a school district that continues to grow, build and adapt to the needs in our growing community as well as continuing to foster academic excellence and resources to our students that ultimately prepares them to enter their young adult life.

Darrell Sharp

I believe I will bring some valuable qualities to a school board position.  My professional background provides me experience with executing large projects, managing significant budgets, leading large work forces, and negotiating contracts with unions just to name a few.  Also, I have 3 children in the district, so I am emotionally invested in the ongoing success of the district.  Finally, I strongly believe in the small-town values I see and feel throughout the Bellefonte community.  I am committed to being a voice on the school board for those small-town values.

I would need to better understand and have further details on what student backgrounds are not already being given equal access or opportunities in our schools.  I would much rather be given details about a specific issue and find value-added solutions.  Open ended statements like this can lead to overly complicated DEI policies that have the opposite effect.  To be clear, everyone deserves equal opportunities.  This will not necessarily lead to equal outcomes.  Much too often people are looking for equal outcomes and that induces issues.

I think that when applicable a survey across the student body is a great way to gather their feedback on a topic.  Those surveys can then be gathered and collectively compared with input from the community to ensure the board is making a well-informed decision.  Also, there is an existing platform in place where 2 students attend and present updates directly to the school board at the school board meetings.

The purpose of education is to best prepare the future generation to be successful, value adding citizens following graduation.  There are 2 immediate items that come to my mind to meet this objective.  First, is to ensure we learned from our reactions to COVID.  I firmly believe the reaction and policies put in place in response to COVID caused more damage than they saved us from.  The most glaring example was closing the schools and fooling ourselves into thinking that remote schooling was productive.  That in and of itself has set back an entire generation.  I worry that if we do not openly and honestly have that discussion, we are destined to make those same mistakes again. Second, is to ensure that students are exposed to all avenues of success following graduation.  For far too long, I believe that society has stressed a “college or failure” philosophy.  This has led to biased information being passed onto students and their families.  In turn, that led to less-than-ideal decisions being made.  Now we have college graduates, burnt out from struggling through 4+ years of classes, buried in student loan debt, and not being as productive members of society as they could have been.  A lot of those students would have been much more successful (and likely happier) had they been given accurate, unbiased advice to pursue a different path (i.e., a military career or a technical/skilled trade career).

Donna Smith

I taught ELA at the middle school for more than 30 years. During that time, I interacted with over 3,000 students, each with unique personalities and learning needs. I worked “in the trenches” so to speak. I experienced testing, safety drills, discipline issues, student trends, handbooks, curriculum, grading, school calendars, tough days, easier days, etc. You name it, I lived it! (I loved teaching, and I highly recommend it, by the way.)  School board members make decisions that have a real impact on you students and our district.  I can promise that I really do understand most topics that come before us and take all of my experiences into consideration when making decisions. This makes me, in my opinion, a good school board member. 

Equality is when everyone is treated the same, whereas equity is ensuring that everyone gets what they need to succeed. The law and school policy already require equal access, but our true goal should be true equity. As a school board member, I  will support policies that ensure all students receive what they need to succeed. I will examine my own belief systems and assumptions and model accepting behavior. I will support flexibility in learning. I will support compassion and expect our staff and administrators to do the same. I support equitable classrooms where all students are not only accepted and heard, but accommodated. 

One of the things I would love to see begin is the hosting of  informal, open meetings between students and school board members on a rotating basis.  Sitting down with students periodically to look at things from their perspective would benefit everyone. I support having students continue to participate as junior board members. On April 18th I personally connected our junior student board members with our locally elected PA House Representatives to discuss issues and concerns. I loved showing our students how to make their voices heard. I make it a practice to volunteer in the schools and frequently attend school events to remain in touch and “in the loop.” 

Education has changed in dramatic ways since I was in the classroom as a student as well as a teacher. In fact, change is the only constant. Schools need to respond accordingly so you students have the tools you will need for success in your future world, not our past one.  The days of a job for life are gone.  Schools need to respond by changing both skills taught and content. Global citizenship, innovation, creativity, technology, and interpersonal skills seem to be the trends. We board members must urge our school personnel to make these changes and not only support them but demand them. 

Kimberly Weaver

As an alumni of the district (1995) and School Board Director since 2015, my qualities give me a unique perspective into the Bellefonte Area School District and how to serve our students and our community. I am committed to ensuring that the School Board and the Administration work together to develop and implement policies that will enhance our student’s experience in our district. I believe that as a School Board Director, I have the responsibility to hear all sides of an argument to make an informed decision. A School Board should represent and serve the values, ideas, and goals of the Bellefonte community. Our Win4Bellefonte team has come across both sides of the aisle to work together to ensure that ALL of our students have a place in our schools and can be successful after graduation.

As I mentioned previously, it is my responsibility as a School Board Director to hear all sides to make an informed decision. I believe in the education of the whole student, which includes academics, athletics, fine arts, clubs, and extracurricular opportunities. In addition, part of a student’s success in our District is learning a wide range of thoughts and ideas and being able to think critically about these different subjects. We may not agree on every topic, but if discussion is approached with respect, kindness, and understanding, it is a step in the right direction of building relationships to accomplish the district’s goals.

The students of the Bellefonte Area School District are why I have been a School Board director for nearly 10 years. The students at BASD are intelligent, driven, hard working, and respectful and should absolutely have a voice in the decision-making process. However, decision-making at the board level is more complex than listening to one voice – the School Board must also consider the voices of the community, parents, teachers, staff, and administration so that our district is accessible and valuable to all of our stakeholders. 

Win4Bellefonte’s six goals are extremely important for the future of our students. These goals will be at the forefront of this campaign, and when met and implemented, will benefit the entire student body, faculty and staff, and the Bellefonte community.

1. Support the district’s infrastructure needs, including the elementary school project and extracurricular facilities.
  2. Ensure the education of the whole student to include academics, athletics, fine arts, clubs, and extracurricular opportunities.
  3. Address mainstream learning gaps at all levels and enhance the identification of special needs and gifted students, including testing and IEPs.
  4. Ensure students are exposed to all paths of success after graduating, including life skills, trade skills, and college.
  5. Ensure policies that will teach students how to think and not what to think and ensure the district remains committed to focusing on academics.
  6. Ensure that students, parents, teachers, and the community’s voices are heard by prioritizing open communication regarding policies and curriculum.

Our students ARE the future, and we can only achieve this by working together with all of the stakeholders of the Bellefonte Area School District. 

Joe Yech

I consider myself a good candidate for a position on the school board.  I have three children attending Marion-Walker Elementary school, and therefore have a personal stake in the success of BASD now and in the future.  My engineering background has trained me to think objectively and make data-based decisions.  I want to keep the focus on setting up the district for the future and providing ALL kids a great education. Keeping the focus on the future and high-quality educational experiences and not getting distracted by frivolous agenda items and petty arguing is extremely important. 

ALL students deserve a great education and we can offer that in Bellefonte.  Our policies need to be clear that we do not discriminate and we offer the same education to all kids.  Building a strong school system will encourage people to move into the district which should naturally increase diversity in the student population.  Studies have shown a diverse population increases productivity by introducing different viewpoints and thought processes.  It is important for the future of the Bellefonte School District to continue to encourage and provide fair and equal education to ALL kids.

Student participation in decision making processes is important because they are the most important stakeholder group in the education process.  It is great that students already have the opportunity to provide public comment to the board and through the student reps that give reports to the board.  I encourage any student to continue to provide this valuable feedback.  Students should also be included in district focus groups or committees such as those concerning the elementary school project, the rebranding project, safety committees, superintendent searches, and more.  I also encourage students to email me and others on the school board to have a direct line of contact.

My vision for the future of education is that students are prepared for their lives after they leave the Bellefonte Area School District; whether that is going directly into the workforce, going on to trade school or going on to college.  I see technology being an important avenue to provide greater opportunities to prepare students for the future.   We need to position our schools to take advantage of technological advances.  We need an experienced and high-quality teaching staff to deliver education.  This means retaining and training existing staff and retaining new teachers so we can deliver a consistent, rigorous, yet evolving educational experience.