Piking into districts

By BRIANNA WOOMER

Winter sports are upon us. A sport that doesn’t often get recognized this season is competitive cheerleading. This team works very hard with their coaches to get a perfect routine for their competitions.

Last year the team won districts. This year they are ready to defend their title, and have been practicing their routine for weeks.

“Our routine this year is probably the hardest routine they have ever had and we challenged the team this year to harder skills and a faster pace routine. Our district has some of the states best teams in it and we need to be prepared to represent our school with pride and confidence,” Head Coach Prestie Headings said.

There are a few freshman on the team and competitive cheerleading is a varsity sport. The try-outs are not easy. There is a series of jumps, stunts, and skills you have to know. Despite being the youngest on the team, the girls are looking forward to districts.

“I’m very happy that I made competition cheerleading my freshman year. So far it has been a great experience and I am very excited for districts. I love my team and my coaches that make it possible,” freshman Reese Fletcher said.

Since the team has been practicing together everyday for a few weeks, they have formed many friendships. Many of the girls and boys have become very close throughout the season. Their bonds help them on the mat when they work together to win.

“I’ve been with this group of girls for years. They are family to me. These girls know what it takes to be a team and to really work together. We have came so far this season and we have accomplished our goals and more. Our chemistry is off the charts,” senior Captain Kailee Replogle said.

Coach Headings thinks the team is ready for their first competition. He said that they have come together very well.

“I am very proud of the teamwork and positive encouragement the team has given each other,” he said.

Their first competition is December 15 at Altoona Area High School. You can come out and support our competitive cheerleading team.