The future workforce of America

By KERRI HOOVER

Not every high school graduate is college bound. But, guess what? That is okay. In addition to the needed lawyers, doctors, scientists, and teachers, the world still needs its supply of mechanics, landscapers, carpenters, and machinists too.

High school does its best to prepare each student to enter college upon graduation; however, what about those students who are not college bound? What about those who wish to enter the workforce straight out of their secondary education?

The Central Pennsylvania Institute of Science and Technology, also known as CPI, offers high school students and adults an opportunity to specialize in a program dedicated to enhancing the workforce all while building future leaders and employees.

CPI is preparing students of all ages and levels for a successful long-term career in a wide variety of programs by fusing together academic and hands on learning. At CPI, eighteen programs are offered to students: Advertising and Commercial Arts, Automotive Science and Technology, Carpentry and Building Construction Technology, Collision Repair Technology, Cosmetology, Culinary Arts, Dental Assistant Program, Diesel Repair Technology, Early Childhood Education, Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC), Heavy Equipment Operation, Horticulture and Landscaping Design, IT/Cisco Networking Academy, Masonry and Building Technology, Medical Science  and Technology, Precision Machine Technology, Protective Services, and Welding and Metal Fabrication Technology. Each program is gender neutral meaning that anyone can join the program that interests them the most.

For example, freshman and HVAC student, Emma Shawley is one of few female students in her class.

“Being one of the only girls in my HVAC class lets people know that girls can do almost anything a guy can do,” she said.

Since CPI offers a variety of programs for high school aged teenagers, any student who is interested in attending is sure to find a department that will match their interests. Some students who attend are even inspired by their relatives who have similar passions and interests.

“My uncle owns a few classic cars and I have been looking at them since I was little. I really like the idea of being able to work on cars like that for a living so I wanted to further my education in the automotive field- that is why I chose Auto Tech,” senior Travis Billett said.

After completing a program at the educational institution, students have the opportunity to earn certificates and/or licenses that will be able to jump-start their future career in the desired area. For example, a select group of students, eighteen and older, in the Automotive Science and Technology department, spent six evenings in early December training to get their state inspection license.

For students at Bellefonte, they attend CPI for only half the day and continue their home school studies for the remainder of their day. Since there are 200 students who attend CPI, they are divided into two classes: a morning and afternoon class. Freshmen and sophomores attend during the first half of the day while juniors and seniors go in the afternoon. In previous years, only sophomore through seniors could attend CPI; however, since the 2016-2017 school year, they can begin attending as freshmen as long as they remain in good academic standing throughout the year. Students may join a program during any year of high school even if they did not start attending their freshmen year. In addition, students should not feel inclined to remain in a program if they do not enjoy it. It is possible for students to transfer out of one program and into another one if they so wish, or chose not to go the following fall.

Besides learning alongside their peers, CPI allows for students to work with other students from different schools. For example, Bellefonte students are joined by others from the surrounding schools of Bald Eagle and Penns Valley, who also wish to enhance their skills and abilities for further employment. Students can build new friendships with other teenagers from different schools as they learn and work alongside them.

Senior and Automotive Technology student from Bald Eagle, Luke Bloom, is just one example of the many students who have developed friendships with various Bellefonte students within his program while attending CPI. He goes out to CPI during the afternoon along with Bellefonte’s juniors and seniors. In the past three years, he has created friendships with some of the current seniors.

“They are all a good group of dudes that I’ve gotten to know pretty well over a three year period. They are pretty knowledgeable when it comes down to it. I’m glad I had this opportunity to meet them and work with them,” Luke said.

Across the eighteen different departments, students obtain a wide variety of skills that will greatly benefit themselves as they enter the workforce following graduation. By learning and gaining the abilities to complete tasks within a given career field at an early age, students, upon completion at CPI, will be more desirable to future employers as well.

“I have learned so many things from working with my friends and the instructor. I have learned how to work efficiently and get the work down in a short period of time. I also learned how to take charge and be a leader,” senior and Automotive Technology student, Garrett Johnsonbaugh, said.

Since the different CPI programs allow for the career driven students to obtain valuable skills for a specific workforce, it also provides them with an opportunity to practice those skills on a daily basis. Without practice and determination, the skills are not as easily achieved. On the bright side, along with the assistance of certified instructors and classmates, students can improve upon their skills as they practice more all while making mistakes.

“There are many skills that I need to do better on. Cutting hair and designing hair is not as easy as people think. ‘For my future I want to remember messing up is only making you better,’” freshman and Cosmetology student, Mackenzie Geier, said.

These opportunities that the students are experiencing are not possible without the guidance of the instructors who spend the entirety of their day teaching and training students to be proficient in a specific career area. By combining traits of leadership and patience, each instructor is able to create a hands-on experience for their students in order to gain the most knowledge out of that experience. Not only do the instructors train the students with regards to a specific content area, but they even encourage them and teach them real life lessons.

“At CPI, I get to be hands on with everything I do. We will learn something in the classroom and our instructor will take us out in the garage and demonstrate what we just learned. He has not only taught us how to be technicians, but also great life lessons. Everything he has taught us and I’ve learned will allow me to do what I love,” Garrett said.

For some students, like junior and Diesel Repair Technology student, Dennis Gerasenko, they look forward to CPI not only because of the subject they are learning about, but also their teacher and his or her attitude towards the students.

“My teacher, Mr. Fike, always has a joke to say which I believe makes me want to come to his class and makes me so eager to learn. He makes his classroom environment that much better when he has that attitude toward his students,” he said.

For any student looking to develop their individual skills and who are dedicated to enhancing the workforce following high school, CPI is the avenue in which they can pursue their passions and dreams.

“CPI is a great place to go learn a trade that will help you be more valuable to any employer that’s looking to hire you. I would recommend it to anyone who has a passion to do something and wants to learn and practice using their skills. Do not take advantage of this very valuable resource and chance you are getting because when you leave high school you’ll look back and wish you hadn’t blown that time,” Garrett said.