It’s time for shopping

Amaya Rothrock, Editor in Chief

For shoppers all around the country, Black Friday is a day people look forward to all year. They save up all of their money and wait for the big sales to hit just in time for holiday shopping. However, this year is going to look very different from previous years because of the ongoing pandemic. But, some of these changes might even be more convenient and for the better. 

Black Friday is not by any means canceled, but it will be much different from previous years. Companies have announced that they will not be opening on Thanksgiving like they have in the past. Black Friday staples like Walmart, Target, and Ulta have all announced that they will be closed on Thanksgiving Day in order to reduce the large crowds. Many stores will be greatly encouraging curbside pickup for customers; this means that customers will be able to place their order online and then drive to the location where the retailer will bring the order to their car. 

Many companies are expecting a lower in-person turnout because of capacity limitations and other regulations, and stores will be moving many sales online. According to BlackFriday.com, 45% of shoppers feel uncomfortable going into stores, so they will most likely move to online shopping. 

Some stores such as Target and Macy’s have already started their sales because the pandemic has led to a very high demand for products. Some retailers are experiencing near bankruptcy because the pandemic has limited in-person shopping. Stores have also begun online sales especially early this year, in desperate need of bringing in revenue to reverse the path they are on.The pandemic greatly decreased the amount of shopping and caused many retailers to shut down for weeks, so they are hoping to bounce back with lots of ongoing sales for the next few weeks. 

Black Friday and Cyber Monday can also be used as a way to benefit the community, especially during this time of need for many people and businesses. It is important to shop locally at boutiques such as Lock and Helen Foxx, both are located in downtown Bellefonte. Both of these shops carry clothing and accessories and they recently received new holiday items that will be on sale for the shopping season. 

Another way to benefit the community is by making donations. Sales have started earlier this year and there are more discounts than previous years due to the pandemic, so shoppers now have the opportunity to take advantage of these deals and give back to their communities by purchasing items such as clothing and toys to donate to those in need. One specific charity that anyone at Bellefonte High can donate to is the United States Marine Corps program, Toys For Tots. There are donation boxes located throughout the school where students and staff can donate toys for children and families who can not afford holiday gifts.